Sunday, December 29, 2019

The decade that was.......for me

Hello Friends,

I am writing about a topic that seems to be everywhere these days....but this is about how the decade's events both personal and in public space impacted me. So, there might be some deeply personal moments/comments that might not be relevant to all of you.

Here's going down the memory lane....
Nanna - You are always missed!

2010 -  2010 will be an year that will be etched in my memory forever and for not all the good
reasons. This is the year I lost my father and the year taught me many life lessons. The pivotal moment of realization was that nothing is permanent in the world. For a guy who was raised like Siddhartha ( avoiding unpleasant thoughts ), seeing someone who is the closest relative pass away was something deeply unsettling. The year saw me go very weak mentally and with the great help of the familial and friends' support system cope with things again on a better note.

2011 - 2011 is an year that I remember more for the joy that the World Cup victory of India brought about. This year was when I realized that ups and downs are part of life and we just need to move on with what comes our way. In this year, I had changed my career path and chose to go on the road less traveled.

2012 - 2012 brought out a lot of promise and through the course of the year, I learnt a lot about living with the expectations. The year also saw personal upheaval with business changes coupled with anxious moments at home. But by the end of the year, the biggest gift of parenthood dawned upon us and with it of course, the challenges that will continue for the rest of our lives.

2013 - Early 2013 was when I realized that we have way too much negativity around us. I worked on creating a small initiative to spread positive awareness. I am glad that it did work for me and hopefully for the 600 odd who are still on it. Towards the end of the year though, Sachin my favorite cricketer retired proving again that no one can fight the Father Time!

2014 - 2014 was a seminal year for India. After decades of uncertainty, a stable government got
formed at the center with a mandate. The year was indeed very remarkable with many path breaking, economy friendly and citizen oriented schemes being introduced. To finally see a leader (after a decade or more ) representing our country on an equal footing with a clear speech felt liberating. This year was also when the regional divide split our state into two which also wasn't as bad as it initially seemed to be.

2015 - 2015 was an year that I will always fondly look at as I had a chance to meet friends who I met after almost 25 years! It also marked an year where personally I had a small but fatal ( future will tell ) role in a business acquisition at work. One more lesson learnt during the process was not to take anything personally but to focus on task at hand more dispassionately.

2016 -  2016 was an year of big change personally - we had moved from a suburb towards closer to the center of the city. It gave us all a huge change in terms of quality of life and also when I realized ( for a brief period ) how it feels to have a 10 minute commute to work! A big thanks to the Almighty and my mother who had wholeheartedly agreed on the change to move.

2017 - 2017 will be an year which I will look back wistfully. An era ended at work that escalated rapid changes each day and the way people think about my company. It hurt personally and also the pride of the company to see questions being asked of capabilities. Of course, as everything else in life, this was a lesson to stay humble and grounded.

2018 -  2018 was the year when I decided to take a head long plunge into active learning through classroom. The decision to enroll myself in a premier college to spend all the weekends along with heavy doses of weekdays preparing was tough. But with the help of the understanding wife and surprisingly helpful kid, I enjoyed learning again and realized how it felt to be a student again!

2019 -  And now to the present....the year started off on a pleasant note with my graduation. After that the country saw us go back to the "right" with an even more higher mandate. The year clearly made us realize the clear polarization across the spectrum. It made me sad at times to realize how very "us versus them" we have all become. Protests across the country put us in a bad light, but more importantly, the focus that ought to be on priorities moved to something else.

Yet, with all the negativity around, I still believe that we all have our best ahead of us and it takes a collective effort for us to get there! I would like for all of us to have better decade(s) ahead of us and indulge in development of self and communities wherever we live.

Thanks

Pavan

No comments:

Post a Comment