Thursday, February 27, 2020

Truly Random

I was walking today in the morning and I had overheard a conversation that made me think and pen this one. There were folks talking among themselves about a person who had died. The questions were on When, How and What caused it etc. But what was not asked was what set me thinking.


Very true...isn't it ?
The question of "Why"  - it was not asked or discussed. It seemed that most of us are pretty comfortable and / or sure of the fact that there is death and additionally no one can question it. It invoked inside me some thoughts that might sound existential.

Working diametrically opposite to that situation, again most of us won't know the answer to the question of "Why" when a child is born.

Science has to a certain extent helped us understand the "How" in both the death and the birth - but the Why is certainly in the realms ( at least currently ) outside the scope of science.

So, when I am born and when I die, there is an absolute lack of knowledge of why - I thought about understanding what is that makes me ..."Me".

The identity which is me certainly is not my name as I am sure I existed before my parents decided to name me ( in my case a very long name thanking a lot of Gods 😄). In the same way, it is not my physical body as if it was just that, the tiny cell that first sprouts inside a mother's womb does not have the body. It is not my mind as there are folks who exist who are "brain dead" but are still alive. So, what is the real identity of the "I" inside me?

Of course, I am neither a philosopher nor a scientist to get to the depths with the questions I have. So, I will take the simple way out to say that I am who I am because the power above me decided me to be me 😃

True - but do we think this way?
Switching thoughts, when we really don't know a lot about ourselves to begin with, what power do
we have to think that we can control others ? ( not from a law and order situation as that's a completely different ball game ) The constant battle of matching others' expectations or them performing to meet ours is an uphill battle that no one wins. So, why don't we just get out of this race that we will never win?


At the risk of sounding preachy( which isn't the intention going by what you read above ), I think we should stop making any efforts to holding up others to what we think is right. In the spirit of the "Dharma and Karma" principles, "As you sow, so shall you reap"! 

14 comments:

  1. Thoughtful post pavan. I wish there are more folks like you who want to just LIVE AND LET LIVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chander for taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. Very insightful blog Pavan. As read some where if you remove "I" and "wants" you will end up live a peaceful life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ra....removing either of them will take a lot of will!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting introspection and thought provoking.
    Some very related information on
    1. How we (I) originate - http://telugubhagavatam.org/?tebha&Skanda=3&Ghatta=46 - 3-874 onwards for 8 further chapters - Kapila Gita
    2. Who am I - http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/who_am_I.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sowmindra - THANKS a lot..not only did you read what I wrote, but also provided some very valuable things for me to read up! I am flattered if you found even 0.000001 % of similarities between what I wrote and what great preachers and books say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Pavan..Sometimes this I becomes arrogant..n sometimes weak as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice & gentle thoughts Pavan good one. Appreciate your thoughts, I can only become We if one strive to become selfless. The best among you is the one who is beneficial & kind to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pavan nice thoughts. If everyone can think positively and be accommodating to others life will be a joy for the self and others. As mentioned in your post we have to leave this world for sure and it’s up to us if we leave a legacy which is positive or negative

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pavan - thank you for sharing your blog.

    I was going to write my thoughts but came across this video today and felt it would perfectly express my thoughts as regards your introspection - hoping it speaks to your heart...your friend, Linda K (from GE)

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kM6Rax1AU

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very thoughtful. I wish I had an confident answer to this! However I can tell what life is not - it definitely isn't to proof that you are better than the rest - as there is no way to universally and objectively determine what is good as what is bad. it is also not about earning the most amount of money or getting the most physical and mental pleasure - as it turns people into competitive and selfish creatures who may become a danger to society. it also is not to spend your time overcoming just problems.

    Life, i think should be about discovering the real you and living it the way the real you wants to... not sure if is correct as I am yet to discover the real me, let alone find what the real me wants !

    ReplyDelete